- Any student who graduates from high school must have completed the requirements for Academic or Career Technical Major.
- Students following a career-technical pathway are exempt from the fine arts requirement.
- Block scheduling was eliminated beginning for the 2010-2011 school year. Students from Bowsher, Libbey, and Start High Schools must earn graduation units as follows: graduation in 2011 = 24 units; graduation in 2012 = 23 units; graduation in 2013 = 22 units. Beginning with the class of 2014, all students must earn 21 units of credit to graduate.
- A student must earn a minimum of 2 credit hours from the school from which he/she will graduate.
- After September 15, 2008, students will be required to pass all parts of the OGT or complete the testing requirements of his or her IEP in order to graduate.
21 Units required for graduation:
English – 4 units/4 years
- English 1 - 1 unit/1 year
- English 2 - 1 unit/1 year
- English 3 - 1 unit/1 year
The following courses will fulfill the fourth year English Requirements:
- English 4 - 1 unit/1 year
- English 4 - Honors 1 unit/1 year
- English 4 - AP 1 unit/1 year
- English 4 - Effective Living 1 unit/1 year
- Contemporary Literature - 1 unit/1 year
- Senior Composition - 1 unit/1 year
- World Literature - 1 unit/1 year
Mathematics - 4 units/4 years
- Students graduating after July 1, 2013 must successfully complete Algebra 2 or the equivalent.
Social Studies - 3 units/3 years
- World Studies - 1 unit/1 year
- American Government - ½ unit/1 semester
- American Studies - 1 unit/1 year
- Social Studies elective - ½ unit/1 semester
Science - 3 units/3 years
- Physical Science - 1 unit/1 year
- Biological Science - 1 unit/1 year
- Science elective - 1 unit/1 year
Health and Physical Education
- Physical Education - ½ unit 2 semesters ~ each semester counts as ¼ unit
- Health Education - ½ unit ½ year
Economic and Financial Literacy - ½ unit ½ year
- One of the following: Personal Money Management, Financial Management, Accounting Technology, Medical Office Management, Business Economics or Principles of Finance
Fine Arts (2 semesters between grades 7-12)
Foreign Language - 2 units/2 years
- Can be chosen as 2 of the 5 elective units for college prep programs
Electives - 5 units/5 years
Total Graduation Requirements 21 units