Toledo Public Schools and the University of Toledo have been collaborating since 2011 to deliver the UT@TPS program, designed to make college education more accessible to adults in the greater Toledo area while building a college-going culture in central city schools.
Their latest collaboration, Teach Toledo, is an initiative to recruit local students to pursue an associate of arts degree at UT that has a focus on urban education. Now is the time to register for this unique program, which is offered in a community-based, supportive environment (some classes will be conducted at TPS's Jones Leadership Academy on Nebraska Avenue). Students in this program will be involved in a TPS classroom experience from day one and they will learn the content skills and knowledge necessary to be effective teachers in an urban school district.
Plus, Teach Toledo students receive partial tuition scholarships.
Dr. Romules Durant, the CEO/Superintendent of TPS, is strong supporter of the new program. "As a TPS and UT graduate, I know the power of teaching in our city, which is why I believe in Teach Toledo."
To learn more about the program and to request information, click here: Teach Toledo
And remember, Teach Toledo will provide aspiring teachers with opportunities to:
- Work in an urban school building in order to have extensive experience interacting with the children, families and communities in urban settings (aligns with the Association of Teacher Educators (ATE) standards for teacher education);
- Interact with peers from diverse ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds with a common purpose of improving urban education;
- Understand the culture and history of racially and ethnically diverse U.S. populations, via University of Toledo associate of arts degree general education core requirements;
- Become part of a community of practice in which novices and experts work together, combining learning with action;
- Receive necessary information and support regarding management of finances, time and other resources to enable successful completion of degree.
Posted on June 21, 2016