Toledo Public Schools serves more than 22,000 students in two preschools, 40 elementary schools and nine high schools.
In December, 2013, Dr. Romules Durant became the CEO/Superintendent and set the school district on a course for positive change. Building on two significant endeavors -- the highly acclaimed Transformation Plan and an inclusive Performance Audit -- TPS has worked diligently to create a platform for new and innovative programs and curriculum offerings.
In 2014, with transformation and change well on its way to making TPS a nationally recognized urban school district, district leaders determined that it was time to develop a Strategic Plan that would serve as the vision and road map for the future. After a year of working with Battelle For Kids and soliciting input from teachers, administrators, students, parents and community and civic leaders, the Strategic Plan was implemented in the 2015-2016 school year.
There are six goals:
- Increase Student Achievement and Growth
- Focus on District Accountability, Quality Assessment and a District-Wide Comprehensive Instructional Plan
- Provide a Mentally and Physically Safe Environment to Students, Staff and Stakeholders
- Attract and Retain Highly Skilled and Performing Staff to Ensure District Success
- Improve Public Confidence, Support and Investment in TPS Students, Schools and Staff
- Ensure Efficient and Effective District Operations and Appropriately Managed District Assets Ensuring Fiscal Transparency, Sustainability and Taxpayer Accountability